Simple Savings

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The clock is running down

Well, only 8 more sleeps! After nearly 5 years of dreaming, wishing, saving, planning and hoping, it is almost here! Gosh, there doesn't seem enough time to finish all the last minute jobs. There is so much to do when planning on being away from home for such a long time.
This week I have been tying up loose ends: medical checkups, transferring money between accounts, setting up the email accounts on the new laptop so we can keep in touch with reality while we are travelling; then there has been the last minute shopping, you know, tiny packets of tissues for the handbag and pocket, tiny bottle of hand sanitiser; socks and undies. Not to mention the cleaning. And another gong for my Simple Savings friends: acting on a hint I picked up on the website (see top of page) I contacted our pay TV supplier and asked if payments could be suspended and they agreed for a small fee; hubby did the same with his gym membership. I also discovered that if we change phone carriers (which we intended doing) we can ask them to suspend the service until we return, saving more money! All up about $450 saved in bill payments.

On top of all that I have been finishing my writing project, my father-in-law's memoirs. That went to the printer on Friday and is ready to be picked up tomorrow. That was the result of several years of frustration: waiting for family members to send their memories. Hah! Like waiting for paint to dry! Some followed through but most didn't, so much of it is my own memories of an interesting and eccentric man of whom I was alternately very fond, and very frustrated with. But it gives me great pleasure to know it is finally finished and I will be taking copies with me to the family in England.

Of course, the boogie man tried to scare me by getting into my head when I had a couple of angina attacks over the last two weeks. But I put paid to that. No one and nothing is stopping me from getting on that plane.

So now I have only to photocopy some travel documents and sort through them all in the folder to make sure all are present and correct; to pack the BIG bag; to email everyone and ask them NOT to email ME for the duration; have my legs waxed, my hair coloured and my nails made beautiful, and then I am set to go.

Am I really? Set to go? Seems surreal somehow...

No comments:

Post a Comment